As the insurance capital of the US, Connecticut has a strong business climate and ranks among the top locations for paralegals working in corporate legal departments. In fact, a recent study by London-based Brand Finance from 2017 identified the state as ranking 7th in the country for the number of corporate brands located here, making it a place where paralegals familiar with trademark and copyright law and intellectual property licensing do well.
This status surely factors into the high concentration of jobs for paralegals in Connecticut. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) ranked Connecticut as having the 4th highest concentration of such jobs in the country. Estimates suggest that the number of jobs for Connecticut’s paralegals will increase between 2014 and 2024. The Connecticut Department of Labor expects the number of jobs to increase by 6.8%, generating an average of 157 jobs a year on average.
As of 2016, Connecticut’s paralegals earned an average salary of $56,840 ($27.33 hourly) with experienced paralegals in the top 10% earning an average of $80,500 ($47.71 hourly).
- Online Master of Legal Studies (MLS) Degree
- Online Master’s in Corporate Compliance. Bachelor’s degree required.
Paralegal Salaries in Connecticut’s Major Metro Areas
A recent analysis of salaries for paralegals throughout Connecticut indicated that incomes varied substantially depending on location. The BLS reported that the average salary for paralegals in Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk exceeded those in other parts of Connecticut by as much as two-thirds. In addition, the average salary for experienced professionals in the top 10% in this area approached six figures.
While the economies of these cities vary widely, a recent study by the strategic guidance firm TNS Group highlighted Stamford for its status as one of the best areas in the Northeast for young professionals to find employment. The city has a number of prominent sectors that rely heavily on legal assistance from paralegals, including insurance and finance, healthcare, and managed IT services providers.
- Average – $63,740 ($30.64 hourly)
- Top 10% – $99,230 ($47.71 hourly)
- Average – $53,010 ($25.48 hourly)
- Top 10% – $74,650 ($35.89 hourly)
Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford:
- Average – $58,280 ($28.02 hourly)
- Top 10% – $78,770 ($37.87 hourly)
- Average – $49,420 ($23.76 hourly)
- Top 10% – $72,180 ($34.70 hourly)
- Average – $49,350 ($23.72 hourly)
- Top 10% – $66,090 ($31.77 hourly)
- Average – $38,060 ($18.30 hourly)
- Top 10% – $58,580 ($28.17 hourly)
Salary and employment data from the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2016.