The Iowa Workforce Development predicts strong growth that exceeds the national average for paralegals. With a job growth rate of 10.2%, the number of jobs becoming available for paralegals in Iowa should average 55 a year between 2014 and 2024.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, Iowa’s paralegals earned an average of $47,920 ($23.04) as of 2016. Experienced professionals in the top 10% earned an average of $70,620 ($33.95 hourly).
Ranging from its largest industry sector of advanced manufacturing to the 80 insurance companies headquartered in Iowa, the state offers a diverse array of industries that offer opportunities for paralegals in a variety of fields.
Iowa Paralegal Salaries by Metropolitan Area
The salaries for paralegals in Iowa differed substantially depending on location. While those in Des Moines earned the highest average salary, experienced paralegals in Iowa City led the state in terms of average salary.
- The online Master of Legal Studies from American University equips students with fundamental legal training and industry-specific knowledge. Students attend online classes and an in-person immersion in Washington, D.C. Complete in as few as 15 months. No GRE or LSAT required.
- Fordham Law’s online master’s in corporate compliance. Bachelor’s degree required. Complete in as few as 20 months. GRE, GMAT, and LSAT scores not required to apply.
- The online Master of Legal Studies program from top-20 ranked Washington University School of Law is designed for non-lawyers who would benefit from legal training. The MLS can be completed in as little as one year. No GRE/LSAT required to apply.
- The online Master of Legal Studies program from Pepperdine Law teaches professionals from a variety of fields the fundamental legal skills they need to better execute their law-related responsibilities. No GRE or LSAT scores are required to apply.
Iowa City’s Area Development Group has received national accolades for its innovative approach to encouraging businesses to locate to this area. This approach resulted in a diverse array of companies setting up shop in the area, providing opportunities for paralegals with expertise in biotech, finance, engineering, and manufacturing.
- Average – $41,830 ($20.11 hourly)
- Top 10% – $54,070 ($26.00 hourly)
- Average – $50,040 ($24.06 hourly)
- Top 10% – $69,010 ($33.18 hourly)
- Average – $44,800 ($21.54 hourly)
- Top 10% – $63,710 ($30.63 hourly)
Des Moines-West Des Moines:
- Average – $52,560 ($25.27 hourly)
- Top 10% – $74,250 ($35.70 hourly)
- Average – $37,960 ($18.25 hourly)
- Top 10% – $56,940 ($27.38 hourly)
- Average – $51,790 ($24.90 hourly)
- Top 10% – $76,500 ($36.78 hourly)
- Average – $39,410 ($18.95 hourly)
- Top 10% – $55,450 ($26.66 hourly)
- Average – $42,530 ($20.45 hourly)
- Top 10% – $67,660 ($32.53 hourly)
Salary and employment data from the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, May 2016.