In today’s volatile job market it is often hard to choose a career that has benefits not only today, but also far into the future. The paralegal profession is one that withstood the test of time and continues to evolve into a challenging and lucrative career choice.
The paralegal profession first received recognition as in the 1970’s and attorneys began to realize the value a paralegal added to the law practice. Since then it has grown steadily and offers several advantages that are rarely seen in any one career path.
According to industry professionals, the top eight advantages and awesome benefits that come with becoming a paralegal are:
- Longevity. There will always be a need for a legal system and therefore there will always be a need for paralegals. In fact, the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a 17% growth in jobs through 2022.
- Salary. The mean annual salary for paralegals is $51,480 with top professionals earning over $77,000 per year. It is also one of the few professions with salaries that have either continued to increase or at the very least, stayed the same.
- Education. Paralegals are able to earn top money with only a one or two year education commitment.
- Growth Opportunity. Many law firms offer management opportunities to those who exceed in their jobs.
- Self-Employment. Paralegals have the option of working as independent contractors and working from home. This allows the paralegal to have a flexible schedule.
- Variety. The law profession brings about something new every day. Every client and case will be unique. As a paralegal you will also have the opportunity to work with different departments within the law firm.
- Specialization. Paralegals have the option of choosing a specialty within the law. This often leads to higher salaries for those who are needed on specific cases.
- Industry options. Paralegals aren’t just employed in law firms. Banks, corporations, hospitals and government agencies are just a few of the other industries where paralegals are needed.